Thursday, January 29, 2015

Why I don't Use Shakeology When I Bake or Cook-


I have a lot of yummy recipes that I have created during the years I competed in fitness as well as created for the 21 Day Fix  meal plan that use whey protein powder.  This gives the things I make a great protein packed punch and will make my muffins, waffles,  brownies or whatever it is a balanced macro (macros are carbs/fats/protein) profile as well as give it great flavor.

My Blueberry- Orange - Vanilla Protein Muffins

I am always asked if the super food shake Shakeology by Beachbody could be substituted instead of whey.  That is a really good question!  Find out below which is better to bake and cook with!

Shakeology vs. Whey

Shakeology

Shakeology is an amazing daily dose of dense nutrition that has over 70 organic, non- gmo ingredients from all over the world packed into one shake.    It is not cheap at $140.00 for a 30 serving bag, but you would for sure spend way more if you went out and purchased each of these items separately to get the same amazing healthy shake.  Like over $700.  So in the grand scheme of things, buying Shakeology is a bargain.  I mean, are you really going to go buy and make a shake with 70 super foods in it? Everyday?  Check it out below

Chocolate Shakeology Ingredient List- Want to try Shakeology? Get a Taste Sampler Here

Whey

Whey protein is left over when milk is coagulated during the process of cheese production, and contain the complete amigo acids it takes to make skeletal muscle.   It is just protein and some sugar from lactose and fat depending on what form you get like: 
  • Concentrates have typically a low (but still significant) level of fat and cholesterol but, in general, compared to the other forms of whey protein, have higher levels of bioactive compounds, and carbohydrates in the form of lactose — they are 29%–89% protein by weight.
  • Native whey protein, the purest form of whey protein which has been extracted from skim milk and not a by product of cheese production, produced as a concentrate and isolate.
  • Isolates are processed to remove the fat, and lactose, but are usually lower in bioactivated compounds as well — they are 90%+ protein by weight. Like whey protein concentrates, whey protein isolates are mild to slightly milky in taste.
  • Hydrolysates are whey proteins that are predigested and partially hydrolyzed for the purpose of easier metabolizing, but their cost is generally higher.Highly hydrolysed whey may be less allergenic than other forms of whey.
For my baking and cooking I prefer an all natural isolate protein.  I really like Lean Body for Her.  The flavors of the natural chocolate and natural vanilla are really great and they do not contain anything artificial or any fillers.
An all natural whey protein is a great thing to have on hand

What happens when you cook with Shakology?

Beachbody recommends that you don't heat up Shakeology above 110 degrees.  Cooking or heating Shakeology would destroy many of the nutrients in Shakeology and upset the nutrient balance. I Ideally, drink it at room temperature or cooler. However, if you prefer to drink it warm, you can warm your liquid - just not above 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not boil Shakeology.

I buy and drink Shakeology everyday because of the amazing nutrients and super foods I my body gets from it.  If I am going to bake something with a powder to increase its protein content, Shakeology is not my first choice.  I don't want to loose any of the important nutrients that is contained in that scoop.  

Also I find the texture of what I am baking with is grainy and not as smooth textured. It also throws off the macros.  I work hard to balance the carbs, proteins and fats to fit into a 40/40/20 ratio.  Adding Shakeology changes this.  It does not contain the same amount of protein that a scoop of whey does and Shakeology contains carbs. 

Whey for the WIN when cooking with Protein Powders!

I feel that you should use a good Whey protein when you bake. Whey is relatively economical.  You can get a bag with 30 servings for about $30.00 depending on where you buy and who made it.  You DO NOT get all the amazing nutritional benefits that you get from Shakeology, but if you are purely trying to bump up your protein content while adding some great flavor and texture, reach for an all natural whey protein instead and save you AWESOME daily dose of dense nutrition for your morning smoothie!  Your body will reap the benefits of all the super foods and nutrients in it instead of cooking it right out of your yummy treat! 

NOW- If you are not going to bake or heat anything up- I say use Shakeology!  Try these yummy Shakeology Treats

Do you need help with meal planning or finding the exercise program that is right for your goals?  I coach people for FREE!  send me an email at smdiehl03@gmail.com and we can chat about your goals or visit my website- www.stephaniedfitness.com. 


1 comment: